I was thinking just yesterday about serving God (Jesus) and about all the benefits it comes with. Which naturally lead me to think about people who don’t and what they will probably never experience having that relationship.
Years ago I was working at a retirement residence and was talking to a co worker about going to church for an evening service until another co-worker immediately interrupted. His comment went a little something like this ” I don’t go to church because I don’t like people telling me what I can and can’t do in my life”. Just a few weeks ago, I was having a conversation with someone at a networking thing and he made a comment about Christians that took a semi-negative tone. I responded with a hint of concern for his views and said “Im a Christian, and I don’t agree with what you are trying to suggest”. Stunned he said “well the issue I have with all of that (#GodStuff – I Guess) is living my life with people telling me what to do. Did him and my co-worker from a couple of years ago know each other? Had they secretly known each other, and has I just been sucked into some twisted plan to give me similar responses to the Jesus stuff we’d soon talk about?
The thing that they and many others have in common was that they viewed Christianity as an endless list of DONTS that could ONLY amount to oppressive outcomes. Well, allow me to attemp re-communicating the reverse. In a world on DONTS, Lets examine the DO’S of believing and serving the Lord. Here’s what you CAN DO when serving God.
- DO receive the unconditional love of God, because he’s really the only one who can give it you sincerely (Romans 8:38-39)
- DO receive forgiveness for all your shortcomings and secrets, and all that you will do in the future (Ephesians 1:7)
- DO accept God’s gifts and be cut some slack where people are always looking for you to prove yourself (Titus 3:4-5)
- DO take advantage of the 24/7 accesses you have to GOD when you are going through a tough situation (Psalm 121:4)
- DO accept that you aren’t perfect and will make mistakes (Ecclesiastes 7:20)
- DO remember that Christian’s have their issues too and that trouble comes to everyone (John 16:33)
- DO know that if you honestly look for GOD, you will find him (Deuteronomy 4:29)
- DO look forward to eternal life by receiving Gods love for you and believing in him (John 11:25)
Because Christianity is not black and white – it’s the people who focus on the entitlements, rather than the things God steers us clear of for our own good – that come to realize the lifelong benefits of having a relationship with the Lord.
Perhaps God brings us to the end of our resources so we can discover the vastness of His.
— Neil Anderson
IS GODS VOICE NEEDED IN ONLINE CONVERSATIONS
WHY IS CHRISTMAS SO OFFENSIVE
LIVING AN INCONVENIENT LIFE ON PURPOSE
SEX AND THE BIBLE
2 replies on “The DO’S of serving God since you’ve always heard the DONT’S”
Love the focus on the positivity of serving God.
Thanks beautiful! I checked your blog out yesterday and you are just stunning ! Thanks